Home » News » Week 9 (03/25)

Week 9 (03/25)

I did not enjoy Oedipus the kind very much.Although i am both a self proclaimed writer (poetry mainly) and an avid reader, I do not like the olden styles of writing. This almost ancient story and writing style detaches me from the story as it almost seems to drag on for me, although the piece was short.

In addition, the aspect of fate is not one I believe in. I don’t follow any religion really. But to say that no matter what you want or choose to do that your life outcome is preordained is preposterous to me. I feel hat we are the masters of our own fate and that no one can determine it but us, which means that fate is not a real concept. You control how you move forward.

With that being said, its upsetting how much characters go through for fate. It is almost a plot device to make characters do absurd things for entertainment. In Oedipus the king, he was fated to kill his father and marry his mother.

His parents then, out of fear, they choose to try and kill their son. Out of their own free will. Oedipus kills them, fulfilling his fate, but only because his parents tried to change what wouldn’t have happened if they chose not to act. It is a paradox, a cliche that is overused in my opinion.